Saturday, July 18, 2009

the sun's out today

Katie's movin' in to my house! So happy.

Recently, at Brook Hills, Dr. David Platt has been preaching a sermon series on the book of Ruth--a http://www.brookhills.org/media/series/love-story long awaited series for me. So, this series has me reflecting in and thinking about two different venues of my life: triumph from tragedy and adoption. The first of which was actually made as a point on the worship guide by David. "In his sovereign design, God ordains sorrowful tragedy to set the stage for surprising triumph." It could not be said more clearly! In the past year, David also preached a series on relationships. One of these services was specific to marriage, one to divorce. http://www.brookhills.org/media/series/attachment/ It became clear that the Biblical design of marriage is often the most far from the understanding of those who are in it. Ephesians 5:22 details this picture. Without radical abandonment to what society claims is most important, one does not assert the land of promise, or Bethlehem, as the most desired. To live without radical abandonment to the idolatry of the world is to negate the importance of God's land and to live in the world of compromise. Thankfully, the Lord pursues us and we have the option of turning away from worldly idolatry and accepting him as the ultimate provider. Additionally, David made the point that in the book of Ruth, Boaz's concern for the poor shows us God's concern for the poor. When we spend our lives for the poor, we will be blessed. This leads me to the calling of adoption. It is to be determined where I will adopt from, but it is absolutely certain that He has placed an unfailing desire to help children in my heart. So, all of this to say: isn't it awesome to know what we have in the Lord?!

Recently, I have been lucky to have a wonderful group of friends form around me. It is clear that the hand of God caused our eleven (or so) lives to merge right now. This new small group, Tas Philas, has been the biggest blessing in all our lives. I enjoy sharing the joys and burdens of the other girls in this group on a weekly basis as we find the triumph that God designed us to receive. In reference to our name, see the parable of the woman who looses her last coin in the book of Luke. Luke 15:8-10 reads: 8"Or suppose a woman has ten silver coins and loses one. Does she not light a lamp, sweep the house and search carefully until she finds it? 9And when she finds it, she calls her friends and neighbors together and says, 'Rejoice with me; I have found my lost coin.' 10In the same way, I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents."
Abby and I are so fortunate to have things going so well for us. There's essentially one semester left in my master's program before I start "working." It's about time! We'll see where that takes Abby and I. There are some connections here, though, that I'd just about be unwilling to break...

Hope you're feeling as blessed as I am these days!

No comments: